Friday, January 25, 2008

A wet week

But luckily I was mainly unaffected by it. Despite torrential rain in West Yorkshire on Monday and widespread flooding about the area, my house (on top of a hill) remained mostly watertight. I say mostly as my roof has leaked slightly where the waterproofing in the gully along the bottom has deteriorated. But this has been sorted now so (fingers crossed) it should stop now. And I MUST remember to get it redone every now and again rather than waiting for it to leak again!!!

Many people were less lucky and some people in Armitage Bridge; the village at the bottom of the hill had the River Holme through their houses. In Calderdale where many of my work colleagues live the situation was similar with many getting calls from neighbours telling them that the water was lapping up against front doors. The situation wasn't improved by someone having reversed an articulated lorry INTO the river.

By two thirty am when I left the house on Tuesday morning the rain had stopped and there was a coating of frost on the windows of the car (inside as well as out). Bit too much weather for my taste! Despite all this the roads were okay and my run went quite smoothly. I was diverted in Upton-on-Severn (clue's in the name Rachel) where a road was underwater but apart from tat no problems. As promised I took some pictures of the flooding round Worcester, but they're not brilliant.

I was able to spread a little knitterly wisdom on Tuesday. A shop assistants at one of my customers is a knitter and was talking about knitted bikinis, so I told her about the knitted knickers I saw at Woolfest. She was intrigued; both by the knickers and by Woolfest which was entirely new to her. I told her there was a similar thing in Wales (Wonderwool) and went on to tell her about Get Knitted which despite living in Bristol she didn't know about!!! She's quite young and fashionable so it's nice that she's enthusiastic. Another one in the eye for the people who think knitting is confined to grandmotherly types in rocking chairs.

I'm sort of mentoring a new knitter at work as well. She's only very recently started but is very keen and I was able to tell her about Coldspring Mill's wool cellar. She went there last weekend and got some stuff for a scarf. She's bringing it to the co-op general meeting this evening for me to cast an eye over and a spot of KIPing. I'm taking my latest sock!

Lastly I was talking to a male colleague at work yesterday and Penelope Cruz came up. I said that whilst not generally being particularly interested in Hollywood stars I was a little envious of her as I consider her to be particularly attractive. "Bet she can't knit though!" was his response. (I know she probably can, but I appreciated the thought anyway! And I bet she can't drive a truck!!!)

blogging in bed (new laptop). Excellent!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coo you packed a few miles in - glad you survived the weather - as you say - too too much of it at the moment!