Sunday, November 05, 2006

The incredible custom fit raglan sweater

Completed. I'm quite pleased with the way that this has turned out. I'd originally planned that it would be a bigger, baggier jumper but I quite like it as it is and I've plenty of yarn left if I want to make another.

It was knitted in the cashgora that I got for a pound a skein from Stow's of Sowerby on 4.5mm needles (3.75 for the ribbing). I think I used about 3 skeins of the yarn to complete it. I started with 95 stitches round the neckline and increased to 210 for the torso. The pattern was from the Woolworks site. I had to adapt it a bit as the instructions regarding how to distribute the original stitches round the neckline were a tad confusing. (I've just re read them and I think they make sense now. TYPICAL!!!!).

I will almost certainly use this pattern again, it's given me a nice everyday jumper that's quick to knit, comfortable to wear and looks good. (Well I think so anyhow, imagine someone thinner inside it!).

Other FO that I hadn't posted yet was my second pair of Socktoberfest socks which I finished a few weeks ago.

These are just a plain pair of top down socks with a roll top (no ribbing) but knitted with some yarn that I dyed with Kool Aid at the end of September. I'm quite pleased with how the yarn turned out, it looked a bit rubbish whilst I was dying it.

And finally my first home attempts at spinning unaided by teachers, sisters etc.

This was 100g of pre dyed merino roving that I bought from Wingham Woolworks after the course I did there. I have no idea what I'm going to make from it, it's very very PINK!!!!!!!! But I'm very proud of it!


Now I need a niddynoddy!

This is for Woolywormhead in her search for sheep images . The Pink Ba-Ba's are a ladies rugby team and their website features pink sheep drinking pink beer (which I'm sure Wormhead would approve of!)

Now I just know that there's some smart arse out there (probably Ro, it would be me if it weren't me who'd posted it) who will kindly point out that there shouldn't be an apostrophe in their title. In actual fact ba ba's has nothing to do with sheep, referring as it does to the original Ba' ba's which is a male rugby team made up of players from different countries mostly internationals but traditionally one uncapped player is also selected. Their correct name is the Barbarians so I think it is actually correct to place an apostrophe.

Maybe they'd like my homespun!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that a hint?

Woolly Wormhead said...

Wormhead certainly is impressed!

Your spinning is improving by the truck load. I bought my mum a course at Winghams last xmas, and she loved it too. Rumour has it that Wingham's Ruth is the best spinning teacher in the country.

Can't wait to see more of your handspun!

Anonymous said...

Love your jumper and the handspun is lovely! I'm sure you'll find a use for it but I also think that just creating a yarn from scratch is enough - why does it NEED to be something else when its already beautiful!

acrylik said...

Love the jumper - the pattern looks like a good one to save for the future.

Your socks are great, that colourway is a lot of fun.

It's wonderful to see all these spinning pictures - very inspiring.

Ling said...

Lovely jumper - certainly useful in this wintery climate we're having.

Love the socks as well. Great colours and not much pooling!

Artis-Anne said...

Great jumper thanks for reminding me of that pattern ; have printed it out now :)