Saturday, November 11, 2006

This spinning business

Seems to be addictive!

Here's what I've been up to since I finished knitting my jumper.

We have clockwise from the top left:

Kool Aid dyed Corriedale. I dyed small amounts of fleece, prepared it into individually coloured rollags and spun them in colour rotation. I then Navajo plied the resulting single.

Black Welsh Mountain and Blue Faced Leicester. I prepared rollags with stripes of the two then spun them so that the colours alternated in the single then Andean plied the resulting single.

Commercially dyed green Merino plied with undyed Corriedale.

Commercially dyed blue Merino / silk mix plied with undyed Corriedale.

I am enjoying the experience of trying out different things but with no end product in mind I fear that I'm going to end up with loads of little bits of yarn that I don't know what to do with. So any ideas would be welcome. I have a lap blanket in mind as a possibility. I have also considered sending the little bits to Wormhead for her collection of bits, but I don't really want to get rid of them. I know this sounds selfish, but I'm in love with my little bits of yarn. (Also they are a learning resource which I feel I should keep for future reference!). I've already found that I need more practice Navajo plying, I'm tending to do it in a rush and panic so the finished yarn is getting bleps (technical term!) in it and tending to be overplied.

I did the Kool aid dying in my bargain steamer, which is turning out to be quite a good buy, though there's not room for an enormous amount in it, you can do more than one colour at a time. (there's another basket that I didn't use.)



Here's the roving after dying still drying off.








P.S. Wore my new jumper to work on Thursday and got lots of compliments.

2 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

I totally agree its so addictive and now my DH has joined in . I have odd bits here and there dyed and spun and no idea as yet what to do with them but as I am able to spin finer I think I will have to ply more together to get them all the same gauge !!to make I think into cushion covers so that I am reminded of where I started . I have done one 200gm lot of alpaca for a shawl/scarf.
Great idea with the steamer , I am looking for a large pot so that I can dye enough for a garment and am scouing charity shops etc. So far I have using a large saucepan or in the microwave but I also fancy trying that tip about doing it in the dishwasher !!
I haven't tried andean plying as yet , must check that one out

Ling said...

Looking at your results really makes me want to start spinning too. There aren't enough hours in the day for all my interests. Great job.