Friday, May 25, 2007

Serendipity

Well, after the completion of the Dublin Bay socks and various teeny mitred squares I've started another pair of socks. This time Falling Leaves Socks from Knitty Autumn 05.

This has been an exciting departure for me as they are my first toe up socks. Ta taaaa!!! Have to say that I am somewhat less than overwhelmed by the crochet cast on which is, not to put too fine a point on it, a complete pain in the arse. I say this because however I pick up and knit the stitches the original chain ALWAYS fails to unravell gracefully when I want it to and I end up sweating and cursing as I try to unpick it without dropping the stitches.
As I had to rip out the first attempt anyway to use smaller needles than recomended and change the yarn (first lot too self stripey) I used a knitted provisional cast on for the second attempt after which things went much better.

I've got to the cast off stage on the first sock having negotiated the delights of a short row heel when what should fall through my letterbox than the Summer edition of Interweave Knits which contains an article by Ann Budd called "Working socks from the toe up." from which I've learned an alternative method of casting on; the Eastern cast-on, which involves no crochet or knitted provisional cast on. She also uses the sewn method of casting off for her socks. Dunno what sort of a top this leaves and if it's suitably stretchy for big calves!!! When I knit socks top down I cast on over two needles so that the leg has enough "give" in it.

The other serendipitous aspect of IK was a pattern by Amy Singer for the "Montego Bay Scarf" which uses one skein of Sea silk. I bought a skein of sea silk from Get Knitted when we went down to Cardiff and have been wondering what to do with it. Now I know.
Other patterns in the magazine which I liked are the following;
1824 Blouson. Mari Lynn Patrick
Oriel Lace Blouse. Shirley Paden.
Origami Cardi. Norah Gaughan.
and Spiral Boot Socks. Veronik Avery.
I don't imagine that I'll make all these or that they would suit me if I did, but I do like them.
My only slight concern is that I thought that my subscription to IK had run out and I hadn't renewed it but that I had renewed for "Spin-Off". Now I'm starting to wonder if they've cancelled Spin-Off by accident. Or perhaps I renewed both. My memory is just awful.
I'd also like to tell you that I deleted my previous post re; Mark Thomas' "My life in serious organised crime" as the listen again link had expired. The show was again not available as a podcast much to my sorrow (boo hiss to the powers that be at the BEEB) but I have to report that the lovely Colin Anderson, producer of the programme and self styled "BBC head of getting my programmes heard one CD at a time", sent me (and no doubt hundreds of others) a CD of the show. What a hero!
I'm not even going to mention what happened at Twickenham last Sunday when Tigers went down to Wasps in the final of the European Cup. Ooops too late. Never mind, two trophys out of a possible three isn't the mark of an unsuccessful season and tho' it pains me to say so Wasps were the better team (but only on the day!).
Congratulations Wasps!

2 comments:

Kath said...

Glad to see you found the latest IK pattern - I kept meaning to comment and let you know! I love those latest socks - pretty pattern and suitable autumnal colours as well. There's a good tutorial on Knitty with a selection of alternative cast on's for toe-up socks which I'll try to find for you as they are a bit simpler than the crochet cast on which I don't enjoy either.
BTW I've Tagged you for '7 Random Things'!

acrylik said...

Beautiful socks - I haven't yet tried toe up but I am determined to give it a go sometime. The latest IK is wonderful, and I love the Oriel pattern too.