1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Up to a point. I prefer natural fibres but will use novelty yarns too (though for accessories rather than garments). Will also use blends if I like the feel of them. Big NO NO to the big balls of 100% acrylic that you find in some places claiming to have a "wool department"
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No to spinning, though tempted to try. Have crocheted but prefer to knit (but never say never!)
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Needles in a home made needle holder (a la S an' B handbook), circulars in original packets in a plastic box. Both strewn across living room floor, attached to UFOs and down the back of the settee.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Born again knitter for about two years now but it's all coming back to me. I'd consider myself to be an intermediate knitter, but I like to try new things. Originally learned to knit about forty years ago?
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Prefer unscented products
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Ummm, yes I guess so, but enjoyment usually spoiled by guilt. Prefer good quality dark chocolate with ginger or nuts or stuff.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Have done a number of different things which I no longer do eg papier mache; still do a spot of beadwork (earrings, stitch markers etc). Have been known to sew a bit. I quite like cooking and baking, and am an enthusiastic imaginary gardener. (If you saw the state of my garden you'd understand that description, it's all planned it just won't get off the drawing board!!!)
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Most kinds of music, classical to modern. I'm a child of the sixties so in my teens in the seventies. Like late seventies early eighties stuff, but pretty much anything. Yes my computer does sound.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Probably green, but I like most colours. Less keen on really BRIGHT synthetic colours than more earthy ones.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Live alone, no pets. Auntie to occasionally visiting cat.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, gloves (with or without fingers), and no in that order.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Haven't discovered a favourite yarn yet, still trying new things..
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Anything scratchy synthetic feeling.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I like hand knitted socks and want to make more, but there are too many other lovely things to make out there. Don't think I have any knitting obsessions though.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I refer the honourable member to my previous answer.
17. What are you knitting right now?
A hat, a "tubey" jumper, toying with adding an extension to a cable jumper from S & B handbook that I made last summer. I'm in a bit of a lull at the moment following an avalanche of Christmas present knitting.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Ummmm, ...... qualified yes
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Depends so much on the project I'm working on. I prefer circulars to DPNs for knitting in the round, but I like to knit with longer needles if I'm knitting backwards and forwards. I REALLY like the idea of adapting patterns that use back/forward knitting onto circulars to avoid seaming but haven't got round to doing it yet.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Not keen on plastic, usually use aluminium as they're easy to come by (charity shops, local knitting stall on the market etc). I found them too slippery for my Clapotis and tried the bamboos that I got free when I subscribed to Simply Knitting. I liked them quite a lot and imagine that ones that aren't cheap and nasty are even nicer to use. I want to try some wooden needles as well (this is NOT a hint just a comment) there are some beautiful ones out there.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Winder but no swift yet.
22. How did you learn to knit?
Hmmm, lost in the mists of time. I assume that my mum taught me, she taught needlework and PE at my primary school so that would seem logical.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
As old as the hills. It's a Tigers scarf that I started in some rather nice (!) 100% acrylic yarn in a previous knitting incarnation, but I got bored with it. I may ceremonially dispose of it, it's still hogging a pair of perfectly good needles.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I can't think of a favourite animated character (oooh hang on, do Clangers count???) , I like cats (some cats anyway).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
just read someone else's answers and it would seem that this means like christmas or new years or such, I thought it meant favourite holiday spot, which is, as you can see, my settee.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Just mountains of junk I seem to have a congenital inability to throw ANYTHING away.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Rowan though saying that after subscribing at the tail end of lat summer I have yet to receive anything interesting from them, just a couple of newsletter type things.
Simply knitting, I know that it's naff and I probably won't re subscribe, but it's given me a couple of ideas and a few useful technical tips.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I already have a book, so that's a no (my mum used to say that when I came home with yet another book "Why have you bought a book, you've already got one?")
Yarn, well yes of course ALL of it, this is my problem.
See also stuff about wooden needles.
I'd like to see something interesting arrive from Rowan, or just something at all.
I want a swift and when I see one for sale in the flesh rather than on the net I WILL buy it.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I want to learn to knit two socks at a time on circular needles. Also that modular knitting thingy (can't remember what it's called) and I want to knit one of those shadow scarves with the Tigers logo on it.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, though I've only knitted a couple of pairs and one of them is HUGE so they just get worn around the house. Hand knitted socks are just SO comfortable.
Feet size umm, widish size five I think. I've noticed a number of people have put that as their answer (not that exactly but their size in British commercial sizing terms which isn't very useful if someone wants to knit you a sock!). They are aprox 9.5 to 10 inches long and just over 9 inches round at the widest part (crumbs who'd have thought it?).
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
15th March (sorry can't think in mm/dd terms)