Friday, October 14, 2005

There's nothing like a week of great SEX















Stash Enhancement Expeditions that is!

First I got back from Ro's last Sunday to find that a parcel was waiting for me at the Post Office. Went to pick it up after work on Monday and it was nineteen balls of Rowan Linen Drape, ten in olive green and nine in terracotta. This was from McA's sale. As I said I have a project in mind for some if not all of it. It was so cheap I couldn't resist getting more than I needed.

Hmm bet none of you knitters out in blogland have heard those words before, let alone uttered them yourselves!

The picture doesn't in any way do credit to the shade of the green, tho' the terracotta has come out quite well.

Then today, Friday I went into Huddersfield to the charity shop and bought some more stitch holders. Should have got them all last time I went in but didn't so this week I had to take the ones I was using for the tops of my sari silk bag in progress so that I could put the shoulders of the back (finished) of my cardi onto them. Have decided I want to try grafting the shoulder seams rather than casting off and sewing them up. Thought it would look nice if I used the black for that as well as the ribbing and bands as a subtle bit of detailing. I'll let you know if it works or not. I'm a bit in love with Kitchener Stitch, I still think it's magic.

Then after getting my hair cut I went in to Up Country to have a rummage through their bargain box. Bit disappointing this week again. Still loads of Rowan Cork in there, but I've decided I don't like it (dunno why). But instead I was tempted by a skein of Debbie Bliss Maya in shades of blue, and a ball of Noro Kureyon. Both of these are intended as scarves for christmas presents so I'm hoping that there will be enough of each for a scarf. Both say 100 meters so I'm hopeful. (Short scarf perhaps).

I want to try a Moebus scarf, but the pattern I saw seemed to have loads of stitches which I think would have made it too long. I just want a sort of chest/neck warmer type of affair. The pattern I have says 5 stitches to the inch, cast on 150 stitches which would make it 30 inches long then you knit into the yarn BELOW each stitch and then knit into each stitch as well, so doesn't that make it 60 inches long, or have I missed something?

Has anyone done this? How does it work? Will it turn out how I want it or will my intended victims (sorry recipients) trip over their scarf every time they turn round?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

1 comment:

Annie said...

The moebius scarf you've described won't come out 60" long, it will be about half that. I have done a very small sample using this technique and you basically knit around the top and bottom of the cast on stitches. It's really hard to describe, but if you follow the instructions exactly, you'll see how it works.